Five Gross Foods That Other Cultures Love

February 16, 2011 at 6:00 am

Some foods just weren’t meant to be eaten, and some cultures insist on eating them anyway.   From fruit that smells like a toilet to the fetus of a duck, check out this list of the most disgusting foods that other cultures actually love to eat…..

Durian – South East Asia

Known as the King of Fruits, Durian is certainly a force to be reckoned with. First of all, it’s a very large piece of fruit.  It’s about the size of a rugby ball and it’s covered with thick, sharp spikes kind of like a porcupine.  In other words,  it’s Mother Natures way of saying, “back off, sicko – you really don’t wanna taste what’s inside this thing.”  But  instead people take a machete to the thick, spiky rind, opening Pandora’s stinking, gelatinous box and unleashing the fury of a thousand rest-stop bathrooms on any olfactory nerve within a mile radius. What’s inside is an oozing, jelly-like fruit that has the scent of a port-o-john and the taste of port-o-john-flavored custard. Seriously, it’s hard to get past the smell, but if you do, you’ll be rewarded with a rich, creamy, mouthful of sick.  How people like this is a mystery to me.

Lutefisk – Norway

Here’s how Lutefisk is made.  Take dried, salted cod and soak it in cold water for six days.   Next, soak the waterlogged fish in a lye solution for two days, or until the PH value of the fish is 12.   That’s caustic enough to cause a chemical burn.  At this point, the fish is too caustic to even consider eating, as it would burn through your entrails like Alien spit through metal.   To render the fish edible, it must be soaked again in cold water for another 6 days.  Finally, steam what’s left for 25 minutes and enjoy!

Escamoles – Mexico

First of all it’s way too close to the word “Eskimo.”  Second of all.  Sometimes known as insect caviar, Escamoles are actually the larvae of large black ants who make their home in the roots of the agave and mageay plant in Mexico.  They have the consistency of cottage cheese and taste (according to wikipedia) buttery and slightly nutty.  Yuck.

Stink Heads – Alaska

Stink Heads. A less-than-appealing name, to be sure, but let’s not judge a book by its stinky cover just yet – let’s first delve deeper. Natives to Alaska’s frozen and inhospitable environment know a thing or two about sustainability – and they don’t like to waste anything. So they eat fish heads – specifically, the heads of King salmon.  Don’t get me wrong, I like salmon but I’ll be damned if I eat the head of one.

Balut – Vietnam

Everyone loves a good boiled egg for breakfast. Crack and peel the shell, give it a sprinkling of salt and pepper to taste, and dig in to that familiar and delicious taste and consistency. But what if it was a duck egg instead of chicken? And what if inside that creamy yellow yolk, there was a half-formed duck fetus, complete with fledgling feathers and beak?  Enough said.  Ouch.

15 Comments
    1. Pantagruel says:

I’m from México, and I must say I’ve never tried any of the foods described in this “article” besides the escamoles. However, based on what the pansy idiot who wrote this dribble said about the escamoles, I can guess the other foods mentioned here are probably really good as well (I’ll admit my ignorance and confess that balut *did* seemed a bit nasty to me, though).

If you are on vacation and local food is too much for you, go hide in a McDonald’s, you wuss

2. Dave says:

“Some foods just weren’t meant to be eaten, and some cultures insist on eating them anyway. ”

weren’t meant to be eaten? according to whom? you are mind bogglingly retarded and i can’t fathom how your boss allowed this bullshit to be published.

3. Jay B says:

Firstly, more lutefisk is eating in the US that anywhere else in the world. Secondly, esamoles is nothing compared to ’100-year old eggs’. Bleh.

4. Stephanie says:

Well I don’t know about you guys but I think the Durian’s description is too exaggerated. I find the smell sweet, strong, and nothing like the “the fury of a thousand rest-stop bathrooms”. But I guess with posts like these, it’s really subjective.

5. SpangoRango says:

Wow, that sure is one cool looking fish!

6. The Durian does really smell very bad. But once you’ve tried it, you’d fall in love with it. It is a very addicting fruit, thus the name “King of Fruits”.

I first tasted Durian when I travelled to Malaysia in 1985, went to a durian plantation, also know as “Dusun” in Malaysia/Indonesia, and the whole experience is one of a kind, which I could not forget. At first, we refused to taste it, but my other colleagues told me if I haven’t tasted Durian, I’ve never tasted FRUIT. I gave it a try, and was immediately in love with it.

I do make a trip down to Malaysia/Thailand/Indonesia every other year, just to enjoy this great invention God had provided for us.

Highly recommended.

7. Lordshrike says:

Durian does not smell horrible, or even bad to everyone. Its kind of like that test we did in high school science class to see if you were a super taster or not. Some people could taste the chemical on the strip of paper and others couldn’t. Same with Durian. If you have a specific gene then it smells really foul. I am fortunate, I live in Bangkok and I don’t smell the offensive odor, just a super rich, sweet, slight alcohol aroma with a hint of onion. Eaten raw it tastes like a really rich banana cream pudding. Dried durian, which I believe removes the smell for everyone, tastes like a slightly sweet potato chip.

8. TheReviewer says:

I don’t think I could even look or smell these in person without getting sick

9. Geofrey says:

You got that wrong with Durian (Durio Zibetinus). The smell is sure very strong but it is not the smell of piss. I have always been a fan of this fruit since my first visit in Kalimantan (Borneo), Indonesia (where there’s bigger Durian Gajah (gajah mean elephant)). The fruit is labeled King of Fruit not for no reason. It’s sweet and tasty because of the high sugar and alcohol comound in it, there fore, if you survive the smell, eating the fruit will cause you dizziness after eating five of those. Nonetheless, it’s my favorite tropical fruit by now.

• V4Vendetta14 says:

When Andrew Zimmern of Bizzare Foods says something is inedible, I usually take his word for it. I have seen him eat balut, lutefisk and durian. He loved balut and compared it to a very eggy/chickeny flavor and very strong. He took several of them to go, so you know he liked them. But he tried Durian, and could barely get it down, and said never again. And that is from a man who eats the strangest foods of every nation/culture with reckless abandon.

Lutefisk, despite the madness in preparing, actually looks pretty good. I know they still preserve it that way, but you would think they have gotten better ways by now. I’m not sure I’d be able to get ant larvae down.

10. Wrong says:

Balut is from the Philippines, not Viet Nam.